Does using poison cause dead rats in the house? (yes)
Before you place those baited poison trays down in your home, ask yourself this - do you know everything
you SHOULD know about using poison to kill rats? Before you continue, answer the following
1 - Is rat poison quick?
2 - Is rat poison effective?
3 - Is rat poison safe?
If you answered yes to those questions, any of them, you don't know enough about poison to safely use it in
Rat poison is not quick, it is usually not that effective, and it definitely isn't safe. And we aren't just talking for the rats.
The main ingredient in rat poison is usually an anticoagulant. In case you weren't aware, this is something that is used to thin
the blood in adults. For example, if you suffer from deep vein thrombosis, there's a good chance that you will be on Warfarin, or
similar, to stop the blood from clotting being dangerous to your health. The same anticoagulant would be used in rat poison.
At the same time as stopping the blood from clotting, the tiny veins and the capillaries of the rat will become damaged. They will
start to bleed on the inside of the body, and after a while, the bleeding action from the damaged capillaries and veins, plus the lack
of clotting in the blood, means massive internal bleeding. This WILL kill the rat, but it certainly won't be quick.
Most rat poisons actually take a couple of days to work, and that's the best case scenario. In some cases, the rat won't even eat enough of
the poison for it to have effect, instead causing a little bit of damage. Once again, rather than resulting in a quick and humane death, the
rat is slightly to become a bit poorly over a longer period of time, and this can make it fall prey to predatory attacks. The animal that
attacked that rat could then become poisoned, and secondary poisoning can kill. Imagine if your household pet - your cat or dog - were to
get hold of a poisoned rat? Your household pet could die.
Of course, we're forgetting about the most important fact here too. Rat poison is hardly the safest option you could pick when you have a
house already filled with other animals or young children. You won't be able to use trays with poison if this is the case, just in case your
kids or pets eat the poison and become unwell. You will then need to use boxed-in trap and poison unites, and the rats are less inclined to take
a closer look at those.
Rat poison can be a very dangerous thing to have laying around if it is not used in the correct manner, and this is why we would never recommend
using it. Poison DOES cause dead rats in the house, when the poison eventually works. And then you'll have another problem on your hands — you
will then need to find that rat and dispose of it.
Rats are notoriously hard to find, mostly because they can fit their seemingly large bodies into the smallest of holes, cracks and spaces. They can
fit into crawl spaces and wall cavities, as well as more open areas such as your attic, and this can make them hard to locate. In some cases, you may
even be required to cut out an entire chunk of wall to try and get to a rat that has died in a cavity within it. In short, poison is a very bad idea.
We wouldn't recommend it.
For more rat information, visit our rat removal tips page, or for more specific how-to instructions, read the how to get rid of rats page with 6 step-by-step instructions.
If you have a problem with rats above your ceiling in your house, read my rats in the attic guide. The most important part of rat control is sealing shut entry holes into the building, but after
you've done that, you'll want to know how to kill rats humanely to complete the rat control job. If you need to hire professional help in your city, click on my directory of over
200 rat removal companies servicing 95% of the USA. we can help your with your rat problem!
||© 2017 OrlandoRats - site content, photos, & maintenance by Orlando Rat Removal, original site by Moonrise Group, Inc